A Local Historic District (LHD) is a designated historic area that recognizes a collection of historically or architecturally significant buildings, structures, objects, and sites. An LHD establishes mandatory design guidelines for construction within the district, which consider the street-facing facade of a structure. The city created a Design Standards template, which may be amended to suit a specific LHD’s character, should they choose to do so.
Resources from The City of Austin
- Local Historic Districts in Austin: A general guide
- Local Historic District Application PDF
- Local Historic District Application Guide PDF
- Local Historic District Tax Abatement Program
- Historic Review Process for Certificates of Appropriateness for Landmarks and Local Historic Districts PDF
Within Travis Heights-Fairview Park, we currently have one: The Mary Street Local Historic District